Educating for Sustainability
This Lesson is a Draft.
>> To Publish, select "Publish Lesson" >>
UNIT: Green Building Context for Electric/Magnetic forces, Energy, Waves and Signals
LESSON: How Electricity is Used and Regulated at Home
Part of the lesson series “Green Building Context for Electric/Magnetic forces, Energy, Waves and Signals”. Designed for middle school physical science, students check volts and amps of devices they use at home.
Suitable for Grades
Satisfies Academic Standards:
MS-PS2-3 - Electric & Magnetic Forces
OSPI ESE 2: The Natural & Built Environment
OSPI ESE 3: Sustainability & Civic Responsibility
Sustainable System Focus:
Buildings and Urban Planning
June 22, 2020, 7:18:37 PM
If students are studying electricity, this is a great addition to help them understand thier own home electrical systems
When people understand the electrical systems in their home, they can make better choices about how it is used and help accomplish community energy goals
- PowerPoint slides
- Video: Source to Switch
- Local Power Bill
- Home energy use page
- Time needed - 1/2-1 period
- -Show the video Source to Switch
- -Have students turn and talk about the video and have a class discussion about anything that surprised them
- -Hand out the Home energy use page-
- -Show the PowerPoint slides showing how electricity comes into the home and the location of circuit boxes and how to calculate watts etc. (see slide notes for details.
- -Have them complete the page at home.
- -Have a short discussion the next day about what they discovered