Educating for Sustainability
This Lesson is a Draft.
>> To Publish, select "Publish Lesson" >>
UNIT: Green Building Context for Electric/Magnetic forces, Energy, Waves and Signals
LESSON: What Are the Features of an Energy Efficient Home?
Part of the lesson series “Green Building Context for Electric/Magnetic forces, Energy, Waves and Signals”. Designed for middle school physical science, students draw a model of a home with as many energy efficient features as they know.
Suitable for Grades
Satisfies Academic Standards:
MS-PS2-3 - Electric & Magnetic Forces
OSPI ESE 2: The Natural & Built Environment
OSPI ESE 3: Sustainability & Civic Responsibility
Sustainable System Focus:
Buildings and Urban Planning
June 22, 2020, 6:54:48 PM
This activity an introductory lesson is to reveal student thinking before learning about energy efficient homes
Energy consumption is a major consideration for all homes, businesses and cities because of the costs as well as the environmental impacts of generating it. Energy efficient buildings reduce the demand and therefore the costs and impacts.
- Energy Efficient Home sheet
- Time needed: 1/2 period
- Provide students the copy of the Energy Efficient Home sheet
- Tell them to draw as many features an energy efficient home would have as they can think of.
- Have student come to the front and present their ideas on the document camera
- Have a class discussion about features that come up and ask what they are really curious about. (Informal KWL) You can also do a formal KWL or similar.