Middle School—Integrating Sustainability Across Curriculum
Time & Location
About the Event
Lessons in science, engineering, social studies, math, and literacy will be available. Participants will design real-world contexts for existing curriculum including sustainable systems thinking, STEM literacy across disciplines, field investigation protocols, and social, economic, ecological, and historical perspectives. Lists of inspiring ideas for student impact projects will be shared along with instructional strategies for coaching effective project design. We will emphasize the authentic integration of meeting academic standards in context of meeting local community performance measures.This is not a workshop or a training. It’s a lab by and for participants interested in integrating the principles and practices of educating for sustainability. Read on for Learning Outcomes..
EXPERIENTIAL AGENDA (It’s a Lab!) Our daily work will include…
- Explore distance learning strategies around problem-based design
- Explore school culture change models
- Integrate NGSS, authentic STEM experiences, and career pathways
- Integrate literacy, history, civics, economics, and geography
- Integrate systems thinking: climate change, ecology, economy, equity
- Demonstrate an understanding of Educating for Sustainability.
- Evaluate existing middle school integration models and develop a plan for your classroom, school, or district.
- Apply the principles of problem-based learning to facilitate students’ growth mindset.
- Apply STEM literacy across disciplines and promote college/career pathways to inspire students.
Questions? Email: Peter Donaldson